This is one of our favorite projects for preserving the summer’s bounty and it is loaded with calcium at the same time. This project is not the quickest of kitchen projects; in ours we scale it up and freeze the rolls to enjoy through the winter. Once frozen, they defrost easily — simply warm them covered in marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Watch the roasted eggplant video at YouTube or watch it below for more instruction.
Plan on three rolls per person per meal, although it is EASY to eat four.
Roasted Eggplant Ingredients
- Three large round eggplants
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella, plus 1/2 cup for the top when serving.
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Romano cheese
- 6 tablespoons finely minced fresh basil (or 3 tablespoons dried basil)
- Marinara sauce for serving
Roasted Eggplant Steps
- Slice the eggplant in rounds.
- Marinate eggplant in olive oil and garlic for several hours, tossing it several times.
- Place the eggplant rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow the eggplant to cool for easy handling.
- Mix the cheeses and basil.
- Place a generous tablespoon of cheese mixture on one half of the eggplant round. Roll the round as tightly as you can without squeezing out the cheese.
- Arrange the rolls, open end down, on a baking sheet. (At this point, you can freeze them. After they are frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag.)
- To serve, place the rolls in a baking dish and cover with a marinara sauce of your choice.
- Sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- Heat the rolls at 425 until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley when ready to serve.
This recipe was shared at Homesteader Blog Carnival, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Made with Love Mondays, My Meatless Mondays, Monday Mania, Mangia Mondays, Making Mondays Marvelous, More the Merrier Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Something I Whipped Up Monday, Market Yourself Monday, Marvelous Mess, Meet Me Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Weekend Gourmet, Mouthwatering Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Naptime Creations, Tasteful Tuesday, Tuesday Confessional Link Party, Today’s Creative Blog, Titus Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Topsy Turvy Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Take a Look Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Gathering Spot, Tuesday Time Out, Living Green, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Thankful Homemaker, Show Me What Ya Got, Women Living Well, Works For Me Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Recipe Box, Your Whims Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Wow Me Wednesday, What I Whipped Up, Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Homemaking Link Up, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Penny Pinching Party, Creative Juice, DIY Thrifty Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Show Off Your Stuff, Swanky Stuff, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Pltter, Cooking Thursday, Green Resources, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday, Green Resources, Commercial Break Thursday,